Expectations from Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Breast implants will help balance the size of the breast with the rest of the figure
- Breast Implants can change the Shape of the breasts
- They will increase fullness and firmness
- They will increase projection
- Breast augmentation will not lift the breasts unless a lift procedure is added
If you’ve gone through childbirth or experienced extreme weight fluctuation leading to drooping, sagging breasts, implants alone will not remedy this. A breast lift will be needed to restore the former, full height of the breasts.
Is Everyone a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Not necessarily, but most of the criteria for a good breast augmentation candidate can be achieved with some work. Here are two characteristics all candidates for breast implants should possess:
- Overall good health
- Breasts that are fully developed – time frames for this vary, but it is recommended that you wait until you are 18 years old, at the very minimum.
Also, if your breasts did not develop normally; if you are not content with your breasts for some reason; and if you possess realistic expectations about breast augmentation results, you are likely a strong candidate for the procedure.
How is Breast Augmentation Performed?
We will go into more detail about the specifics of your procedure during your consultation. But as an overview, breast augmentation can usually be performed in an outpatient environment, such as a hospital or ambulatory center, or you may stay overnight if desired.The procedure itself is pain free because patients are put under anesthesia. The incision sites vary depending on your body type, the implant size and the desired results, but common sites include under the breast or arm, or around the nipple.The breast implant is inserted either above or below the chest muscle, but its exact placement depends on several factors. The incision is then closed, and healing begins.
Tips to Optimize Healing after Breast Augmentation.
- Although slightly unpleasant, use compresses and ice packs to reduce pain and swelling.
- Avoid sleeping on your sides or stomach during breast implant surgery recovery. For optimal healing, attempt to sleep in a slightly upright position.
- Avoid bending over, reaching up high, extreme stretching or strenuous activity for as long as possible.
- Some doctors recommend massaging the implants – smooth, not textured implants – gently after the first few days of recovery. This helps keep them soft and correctly placed as the tissue around them heals.
- Overuse your compression bra.
- Ask your doctor about other medications or natural remedies that can help reduce swelling, bruising and improve circulation.
Do Results from Breast Augmentation Last Forever?
Unfortunately, they are not manufactured to be lifetime devices, so it’s possible that your implants will never need replacing.However, your implants will likely last longer if there are no complications, leakage or rupture of the breast implants. If you experience any discomfort, change in shape or size variations over time, you’ll want to schedule a visit with your plastic surgeon.
Extra Facts about Breast Augmentation Surgery
If you plan on breast feeding after a pregnancy and you have implants, be aware that they can lead to reduced lactation.Also, implants can make receiving a mammogram slightly trickier, but advances in X-ray technology have made it possible to scan the breasts thoroughly for any abnormalities despite the implant. There have been no connections made between breast implants and an increased risk of developing breast cancer.
If you’re unhappy with your breasts and are considering breast augmentation, your first step is to schedule a medical evaluation and consultation with Us. Be open and inquisitive, and make sure your questions are answered prior to your procedure.